Are you sitting your HSC this year? No doubt you’ve spent lots of time thinking about your future study and career plans. So, you’ll want to make sure you take all the necessary steps to get your course application right. Follow our step by step guide to stay on track.
Thinking about Macleay? You can apply for admission to our Sydney campus direct or via UAC.
What is UAC?
The Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) calculates the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for HSC students in NSW. UAC also processes applications for admission to most undergraduate courses and many postgraduate courses at participating institutions, mainly located in NSW and the ACT.
Step 1: Personal details
To start your application, click here. Enter your details, making sure the name on your application matches the one on your official ID. Use a personal email address, rather than a school address, which will expire when you leave school.
Step 2: Student number and PIN
If you’re sitting your HSC in 2018, enter your student number and PIN.
Step 3: Education history
Enter details of your studies and qualifications. Include all completed secondary studies, as well as any complete or incomplete post-secondary studies.
Step 4: Preferences
Select your preferences, listing up to five courses.
Step 5: Accept the applicant declaration.
Step 6: Payment
Payment can be made using a credit card (Mastercard or Visa) or a PayPal account. Current Year 12 students residing in Australia can also use BPAY or Post BillPay. Please note: If you’re only considering Macleay, you can avoid the application fee by applying direct.
Step 7: Check your email regularly for updates.
How do preferences work?
It’s important to remember that:
- You’re only eligible to receive one offer in each round
- That offer will be the highest preference you’re eligible for
- If you’re eligible and competitive enough for your first preference, you’ll receive an offer for that course only
- If you don’t receive an offer for your first preference but are eligible and competitive enough for your second preference, this is the course for which you’ll receive an offer.
When are the offer rounds?
The most critical offer rounds for Year 12 2018 students are:
- December Round 2 (Thursday 20 December 2018).
- January Round 1 (Friday 11 January 2019) after ATAR scores are released.
- Note: Most Year 12 applicants receive their offers in January.
Can I apply for an early offer?
Year 12 students can apply for early admission to the Bachelor programs at Macleay’s Sydney campus. This application will be based on evidence of aptitude for their nominated study area and is subject to the following requirements:
- A personal interview with the Head of Faculty or their Academic Representative.
- A 500-word written submission outlining your career goals, why you want to study the particular course and why Macleay is your preferred institution. The Head of Faculty or their Academic representative will assess this for English language, cohesion, clarity and an indication of higher education level written communication skills.
- Prospective students are strongly encouraged to provide additional supporting documentation such as trial HSC or other state examination results and a letter of recommendation from their Principal. If they are applying for Journalism or Advertising & Digital Media courses then a portfolio of creative work and writing should be included too.
- The Head of Faculty will make a written recommendation about whether the student is capable of succeeding in a bachelor’s level qualification and should be granted entry to the program.
- The prospective student will receive a formal unconditional offer of a place in the program for which they are applying. This offer will remain valid for one year, after which the prospective student may apply using the standard admissions process.
- Apply for early entry here.
Need some advice?
You can chat with one of our Personal Education Consultants at any stage of the process. Get in touch to make a suitable time.