Are you sitting your VCE this year? No doubt you’ve spent lots of time dreaming big about your future study and career plans. So, you’ll want to make sure you take all the essential steps to get your course application right. Follow our step by step guide to stay on track.
If you’re a current Year 12 student and are planning to study at Macleay next year, you must lodge your application through VTAC.
What is VTAC?
The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) administers the application processes for places in tertiary courses, scholarships and the Special Entry Access Scheme at universities, TAFEs and independent tertiary colleges mainly in Victoria. VTAC also calculates and issues the Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) for VCE students.
Step 1: Create an account
Step 2: Personal details
Enter your details, making sure the name on your application matches the one on your official ID and your school records. Use a personal email address, rather than a school address, which will expire.
Step 3: Get prepared.
- The VTAC application allows you to apply for up to eight courses in order of preference, but you can only receive one offer in each ‘offer round’.
- Before you begin your application, make sure you meet the entrance requirements for each course and have all your details close to hand. These include details about your educational history, student numbers and any required visa information.
Step 4: Start your application.
Log in to your VTAC account and select 'Course application'. All VTAC applications are submitted online.
Step 5: Education history
- Enter details of your studies and qualifications and provide your student number/s. Include all secondary studies completed both in Australia and overseas.
- VTAC will advise you whether you need to supply evidence of your Year 12 results, or whether they will be retrieved automatically.
Have you completed secondary school and gone on to further study?
- Include details of any post-secondary studies, both complete and incomplete including student numbers.
- You must list all studies undertaken in Australia and overseas including tertiary study this year if you did not officially withdraw by the census date.
Step 6: Preferences
- List up to eight course preferences, using the institution and course dropdown menus or by entering the course codes.
- To make sure you are selecting the correct course, view the course information first.
- Make sure you list the courses in order of preference. List your most wanted course as your number one preference, followed by your second most wanted, and so on.
- You can make changes any time before the course application closing date and other change of preference periods.
Step 7: Submit
Review your application details, submit and pay your application fee.You do not need to make this payment straight away, but you must pay by the deadline for your application to be considered.
There is a sliding scale for VTAC payments, so it makes sense to pay your application fee early.
When will I receive an offer?
Offers will be emailed on the dates below, and can be accessed in your VTAC account from 2 pm:
- Round 1: 16 January 2019
- Round 2: 4 Feb 2019
- Round 3: 11 Feb 2019
- Round 4: 18 Feb 2019
- Round 5: 25 Feb 2019
Please note that offer round 2 falls on the first day of Trimester 1 2019 at Macleay.
Need some advice?
You can chat with one of our Personal Education Consultants at any stage of the process. Get in touch to make a suitable time.