Digital and Social Media Marketing Student Yvonne provides some tips and tricks on how to be successful, both in life and college.
1. Put yourself out there – You honestly have nothing to lose, if there is something you want in life, be the one that puts your hand up, be the one that asks the questions, be the one that stands up. People will notice you if you do, I promise.
2. Don’t underestimate yourself – Everybody was born different. Never look down on yourself because you don’t have what others have. You have your own amazing talents, that no one else has! That’s your superpower! For example, I LOVE smiling. I don’t know why, my heart just has so much happiness and love, and so I love radiating that to others. And that’s my superpower 😊
3. Know your strengths, and work on your weaknesses – Weaknesses aren’t bad! Find out what they are and turn them into your strengths! Look at your weaknesses in the eyes and tell them you’re not going to give up! It’s not as scary as you think!
4. Believe in yourself – There could be a whole room that believes in you, but if you don’t believe in yourself, you won’t get anywhere. They believe in you for a reason! Believe in yourself, and you will become the most powerful person on the earth.
5. Network! – Get to know your lecturers, attend events, talk to people! You never know what opportunity is waiting for you on the other side. So, start today.
6. Be confident – Confidence shows! You’ll always be spotted out of the crowd.
7. Don’t give up. Just don’t – You’ll be stronger making it through, then not doing it. Your failures will lead you to your success. So, fail, and fail many times, maybe a hundred times, and then succeed.
College tips for future students:
1. Choose the course for YOU. If there is something you want to do, or something you want to BE, do the course that will help you get there! It won’t even feel like work when you do it, it’ll feel like a step towards your future. If you do choose the wrong course, don’t be afraid to change. There is census date for a reason! Macleay is really good about this. Just go to Level 2 to the Student Services team and as long as you change your course before the Census date, you’ll get to transfer into the RIGHT course for you!
2. Work Hard – Nothing comes easy! I can really look back at this semester and feel proud of myself because I know how hard I worked. I know how much I pushed myself. I know I’m going to come out a better person because of it!
3. Take breaks. I’m so guilty of not doing this enough! But, I am telling you if you work for a few hours, take a break. Go for a run, a walk, cook something! You have to keep yourself sane! This is a great way to reflect on your idea when you’re not constantly thinking about it. Then, you can come back to it afterwards.
4. Lecturers are there for you. Take advantage of it! When your lecturers say, “Email me your assignments and I’ll come back with feedback” Do it! It could be the difference from a pass to a credit, a credit to a distinction, a distinction to a high distinction. It is worth it every time, and at Macleay, they are SO happy to do it! They see things that we don’t see and help us to perfect!
5. Have fun! You’re going to be here for a while, so enjoy it! Make friends, get to know your lecturers and enjoy your time, because before you know it, you’re going to be graduating!
Good luck! You can do anything you put your mind to. You are powerful! Macleay will be there with you every step of the way, I promise.